16 Winter Olympic Games,1992
- Seven towns were candidates for the 16 Winter Olympic games - Anchorage, USA, Albertville, France, Falun, Sweden, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Berchtesgaden, Germany, Lillehammer, Norway and Sofia, Bulgaria.
- In October 1986 at the 91st IOC session in Lausanne, after the fifth round of the voting, Albertville with 51 votes was selected as the site of the 16 Winter Olympics. Sofia with 25 votes was the second and Falun was the third - 9 votes.
Albertville 1992 - Medal Table
16 Winter Olympic Games,1992 - Some interesting facts
- The President of France Francois Mitterrand officially opened the 16 Winter Olympic games 1992.
- After political changes in Central and Eastern Europe, athletes from five former Soviet republics competed as a Unified Team. German athletes competed together under one flag again. For the first time in more than 50 years, Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania competed under their own flags and names.
- It was the last Winter Games to be staged in the same year as the Summer Games.
- Norwegian skiers Bjorn Daehlie and Vegard Ulvang won three gold medals each.
1992 Winter Olympics Highlights