Games of the 29 Olympiad, 2008
- Five candidate cities were bidding to host the Olympic games 2008 - Beijing, China, Istanbul, Turkey, Osaka, Japan, Toronto, Canada and Paris, France.
- In July 2001, at the 112th IOC Session in Moscow, Beijing, China, was selected as host city of the Games of the 29 Olympiad.
- It was the first election that used the two-phase bidding procedure and the final ballot results were: Beijing - 56 votes, Toronto - 22.
Beijing 2008 - Medal Table
Games of the 29 Olympiad, 2008 - Some interesting facts
- The Openig ceremony of the Games of the 29 Olympiad began at 08:08:08 local time on 08-08-2008 at the new 91,000-seat National stadium, also named as Bird's Nest and Chinese President Hu Jintao officially opened the Olympic games 2008.
- Despite the calls for boycott the Beijing 2008 after Tibet crackdown, all National Olympic Committees, except Brunei, participated in the Olympic games.
- Swimmer from USA Michael Phelps won 8 gold medals, beating Mark Spitz's record of seven in a single Olympics and become the most famous athlete in history of the Olympic games with 14 gold medals.
- Athlete from Jamaica Usain Bolt won all sprint events in track and field - 100, 200m and 4x100m relay - all in world record time.
2008 Olympics: Beijing 2008 Highlights