Games of the 9 Olympiad,1928
- After bids for the 1920 and 1924 Olympic games Amsterdam, Netherlands was selected to host the Olympics 1928 - over the objections of Holland monarch - Queen Wilhelmine thought the Olympics were a pagan festival and refused to make an appearance at either the Opening or Closing ceremonies.
- There was only one other candidate city - Los Angeles, USA - next host city for Olympics 1932.
Amsterdam 1928 - Medal Table
Games of the 9 Olympiad,1928 - Some interesting facts
- After refusal of Queen Wilhelmine, Prince Hendrik officially opened the Olympic games 1928 at the new 40,000-seat Olympic stadium.
- Germany and its World War I allies were re-admitted.
- For the first time, an Olympic flame burned brightly over the host city for the duration of the competitions.
- A new Olympic tradition was introduced - at the Open ceremony, Greek athletes enter the Olympic stadium first and host nation athletes last.
- Luigina Giavotti has become the youngest medalist ever, when she gained silver in gymnastics at the age of 11 years and 302 days.