20 Winter Olympic Games,2006
- For the 2006 Winter Olympics, the IOC introduced a new selection process which prohibited visits by IOC members to the candidate sites.
- In June 1999 at the 109th IOC session in Seoul, Torino, Italy was awarded the 20 Winter Olympic games over Sion, Switzerland by a 53-36 vote margin.
- The other candidate cities were Helsinki, Finland, Klagenfurt, Austria, Poprad-Tatry, Slovakia and Zakopane, Poland.
20 Winter Olympic Games,2006 - Some interesting facts
- President of Italy Carlo Azaglio Ciampi officially opened the 20 Winter Olympic games 2006.
- In Figure skating Chinese pair Zhang Dan and Zhang Hao skated their freeskate program, but Zhang Dan injured her left knee and crashed into the sideboard, when she attempted a throw quadruple salchow. The next few minutes the music was stopped, but athletes came back to complete their program and, eventually, they won a silver medal.
- 1,200 athletes were tested for doping in Turin and there was only one positive result - Olga Pyleva of Russia was stripped of a silver medal in Biathlon.
- At the last day, Italian skier Giorgio Di Centa, who won 50km race, got his gold medal from his sister Manuela Di Centa, a multi-time Olympic medalist and a member of the IOC now.