17 Winter Olympic Games,1994
- In 1986 the IOC decided that the Summer and Winter Games would be held in different years.
- In September 1988 at the 94st IOC session in Seoul, according to the new olympic schedule, Lillehammer, Norway was selected as host city for 1994 Winter Olympics.
- The other candidate cities were Anchorage, USA, Oestersund, Sweden and Sofia, Bulgaria
Lillehammer 1994 - Medal Table
17 Winter Olympic Games,1994 - Some interesting facts
- His Majesty King Harald V of Norway officially opened the 17 Winter Olympic games 1994.
- While it was a Yugoslavian War, and Sarajevo, the host city of the Winter Games 1984, lay in ruins, the Bosnia and Herzegovina four-man bobsleigh was comprised of one Croatian, two Bosnians and a Serbian. They placed 29th.
- Before the Games 1994 began, there was a strange story with both figure skating medal favorites from USA. Nancy Kerrigan was attacked by bodyguard and ex-husband of her rival Tonya Harding. Finally, Harding finished eighth, Kerrigan won the silver medal and it was a sensation when young Ukrainian Oksana Baiul won gold medal.
- Norwegian speed skater Johann Olav Koss won three gold medals and donated about $33,000 of his Olympic bonus to Olympic Aid for the citizens of Sarajevo.
Winter Olympics Lillehammer '94