15 Winter Olympic Games,1988
- There were three candidate cities, that competed for Winter Olympics 1988 - Calgary, Canada, Falun, Sweden and Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy.
- In September 1981 at the 11 Olympic Congress in Baden-Baden, Calgary, Canada was selected as the site of the 15 Winter Olympic games, winning in the second ballot by 48-31 margin over Falun, Sweden.
Calgary 1988 - Medal Table
15 Winter Olympic Games,1988 - Some interesting facts
- Governor General of Canada Jeanne Sauve officially opened the 15 Winter Olympic games 1988.
- Calgary officials convinced the IOC to extend the Games to 16 days, including three weekends.
- Matti Nykanen from Finland won all three events in Ski jumping. The other ski jumper - British Eddie Edwards, also known as the Eagle, scored less than half of the points of any other athlete, became a cult hero of the 1988 Winter Olympics.
- The Games also was remembered by Bobsleigh crew from Jamaica, that included a reggae singer and a helicopter pilot.
1988 Winter Olympics