8 Winter Olympic Games,1960
|City||Squaw Valley, USA|
- When in 1955 Squaw Valley, USA was applied for Wnter Olympics 1960, there was only one hotel in this remote site in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
- However, organizers convinced the IOC to hold the Olympics there and in June 1955 at the 50th IOC session in Paris, Squaw Valley, USA was selected to host the Winter Games.
- The other candidate cities were St.Moritz, Switzerland, Innsbruck, Austria and Garmisch-Partenkirchen, FRG.
Squaw Valley 1960 - Medal Table
8 Winter Olympic Games,1960 - Some interesting facts
- Vice-president of the USA Richard Nixon, who was late to the Opening ceremony because storm had held up his flight, officially opened the 8 Winter Olympic games 1960.
- Organizers refused to build a bobsled run because only nine nations were going to take part in it. This was the only time when Bobsleigh was not included in the Olympic programme.
- The Olympic Village Inn was built to house more than 750 athletes. It allowed all athletes to live under one roof for the first and only time in modern Olympic history.
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies were coordineted by Walt Disney, world famous Hollywood director.
Snowball's Chance: The Story of the 1960 Olympic Winter Games Squaw Valley