5 Winter Olympic Games,1948
- Initially Winter Olympic games 1940 were scheduled to be held in Sapporo, Japan. However, because of the Sino-Japanese conflict, in 1939 the Winter Games 1940 were reassigned to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany and Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy was selected to host the 1944 Winter Olympics.
- The Winter Olympics 1940 and 1944 were canceled because of the Second World War.
- In 1946 at the 39th IOC session in Lausanne, St.Moritz, Switzerland was selected to host the Winter Olympic games 1948 over another candidate city Lake Placid, USA.
St.Moritz 1948 - Medal Table
5 Winter Olympic Games,1948 - Some interesting facts
- President of Switzerland Enrico Celio officially opened the 5 Winter Olympic games 1948 - the first postwar Games.
- Germany and Japan, the aggressors of World War II, were not permitted to participate in the Games.
- The IOC kept on its position and did not allow ski instructors to compete in alpine skiing events because they were professionals.
- The Americans sent to olympic ice hockey tournament two rival teams, one representing the US Olympic Committee and the second was affiliated with the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF). Eventually, the second team played in the tournament and finished fourth, but later, it was disqualified by the IOC and official reports include names of the first team, that did not play one minute in the Olympics.
1948 Winter Olympics