3 Winter Olympic Games,1932
|City||Lake Placid, USA|
- The list of the candidate places for Winter Olympic games 1932 included seven cities from USA - Lake Placid, Yosemite Valley, Lake Tahoe, Bear Mountain, Minneapolis, Duluth, Denver and Montreal, Canada and Oslo, Norway.
- In May 1929 at the 27th IOC session in Lausanne, the IOC decided to award Winter games 1932 to Lake Placid, USA.
- It was the first Winter Olympic games on the continent of America.
Lake Placid 1932 - Medal Table
3 Winter Olympic Games,1932 - Some interesting facts
- Franklin Roosevelt, the Governor of the State of New York and the future President of the USA, officially opened the Third Winter Olympic games.
- A lot of european athletes could not arrive at the competition because ticket price was too high.
- For the first time, speed-skating competitions were organized under the American rules: skaters raced against each other from a common start, instead of paired races. Clas Thunberg, the great speedskater from Finland, refused to compete in protest of the changes.
- Eddie Eagan of the USA won a gold medal in the four-man bobsleigh and became the first person in Olympic history who won gold medal in both Summer and Winter Olympics. Early, in 1920 in Antwerp, he won gold in the light-heavyweight boxing event.