Games of the 3 Olympiad,1904
|City||St. Louis, USA|
- There were a few candidate cities of the USA to held Third Olympiad: New York, Buffalo, St.Louis and Chicago and at the fourth IOC Congress in May, 1901 Chicago was selected as host city.
- However, after news about moving Universal Exhibition and Worlds Fair in St.Louis from 1903 to 1904, it was decided to change place of the Olympic games to St.Louis, Missouri, USA to coincide with the Exhibition like it was four years ago at the Paris Olympiad 1900.
St. Louis 1904 - Medal Table
Games of the 3 Olympiad,1904 - Some interesting facts
- The Third Olympic games was officially opened by David Francis, chief of Louisiana Purchase Exposition.
- A lot of european athletes couldn't arrive to competitions because ticket's price was too high. Even the IOC President - Baron Pierre de Coubertin, didnt travel to the Olympic games. There were only 52 athletes not from America and athletes only of the USA and Canada competed in 10 events out of 17.
- Local people were not interesting in the Games and the most important events gathered no more than 2 thousand people.
- Almost all competitions held on the area of Washington University.
America's First Olympics: The St. Louis Games of 1904