Games of the 27 Olympiad,2000
- Five candidate cities were bidding to host the Olympic games 2000: Sydney, Australia, Beijing, China, Manchester, Great Britain, Berlin, Germany and Istanbul, Turkey.
- In September 1993, at the 101st IOC session in Monte Carlo during the three rounds Beijing was the first in voting and only in forth round Sydney, Australia was selected the host city of the Games of the 27 Olympiad: Sydney - 45 votes, Beijing - 43.
Sydney 2000 - Medal Table
Games of the 27 Olympiad,2000 - Some interesting facts
- The Governor General of Australia Sir William Deane officially opened the Games of the 27 Olympiad at the new 110,000-seat Olympic stadium.
- For the first time, in the Opening Ceremony during the Parade of Nations, South and North Korea marched together under the same flag.
- The Olympic Village called Newington was supplied by solar panels that are installed on the the roof of every Newington house.
- American sprinter Marion Jones, who won five medals - three gold in the 100 and 200m, 4x400 relay and two bronze in the long jump and 4x100m relay. Later, in 2007, she admitted using steroids before the 2000 Olympics and was stripped of her medals.
- The spectators remembered the 22-year-old swimmer Eric Moussambani from Equatorial Guinea who learned how to swim just six months ago, and won his 100m freestyle heat because two other swimmers in his heat were eliminated for false starts.
The Winners: Sydney 2000 Olympic Games