Games of the 26 Olympiad,1996
- In 1996 the world celebrated the 100th birthday of the modern Olympic Movement and many in the IOC felt that the Olympic games should return to Athens, Greece - their birthplace.
- Athens, Greece with five other candidate cities vying to host Centennial Olympic games - Atlanta, USA, Belgrade, Yugoslavia, Manchester, Great Britain, Melbourne, Australia and Toronto, Canada.
- In September 1990, at the 96th IOC session in Tokyo, the Games of the 26 Olympiad were awarded to Atlanta, USA.
Atlanta 1996 - Medal Table
Games of the 26 Olympiad,1996 - Some interesting facts
- The President of the USA Bill Clinton officially opened the Games of the 26 Olympiad at the 85,000-seat Olympic stadium and boxing legend Muhammad Ali, who was ill with Parkinson's disease, lit the Olympic flame.
- On the ninth day of the Games during a concert held in the Atlanta Centennial Olympic Park a bomb explosion killed one person and injured more than a hundred people.
- For the first time in Olympic history, all the recognized National Olympic Committees took part in the Olympic games.
Atlanta's Olympic Glory