Games of the 23 Olympiad,1984
|City||Los Angeles, USA|
- Since June 1978 there were a lot of meetings between Los Angeles and the IOC officials, the purpose of which was to convince the IOC that a private group could organize the Olympic Games.
- And on 20 October 1978 at the White House, Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley and IOC President Lord Killanin signed of the Olympic contract and Olympics 1984 were awarded to Los Angeles, USA.
Los Angeles 1984 - Medal Table
Games of the 23 Olympiad,1984 - Some interesting facts
- The President of the USA Ronald Reagan officially opened the Games of the 23 Olympiad at the rennovated Colisium stadium.
- The Soviet Union and 16 its allies boycotted Olympic Games 1984 in retaliation for previous US boycott and 125 World champions didn't compete at the Games 1984.
- For the first time, Olympic games were organized without government funding.
- China participated in the Games for the first time since 1932.
- American athlete Carl Lewis repeated Jesse Owens 1936 record and won four gold medals in the 100, 200m, 4x100m relay and long jump.
- Wrestler of the USA Jeff Blatnik overcame cancer and won a gold medal in Classic wrestling.
Olympics Challenge: The Los Angeles Games