Games of the 21 Olympiad,1976
|City||Montreal, Canada (Kingstone - Sailing)|
- There were three candidate cities to held Olympic games 1976: Montreal, Canada and the two other competitors from the world's greatest countries - Los Angeles, USA and Moscow, USSR.
- In May 1970 at the Congress IOC in Amsterdam, after the speech of Montreal Mayor Jean Drapeau, the Games of the 21 Olympiad were awarded to Montreal.
- After Munich 1972, Lord Michael Killanin was elected as the new President of IOC.
Montreal 1976 - Medal Table
Games of the 21 Olympiad,1976 - Some interesting facts
- Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II officially opened the Olympic games 1976. The Olympic Stadium was still under construction at the Opening ceremony because of bad management and just corruption.
- More than 20 African nations boycotted the Games because the New Zealand's rugby team toured South Africa and played against them and IOC did not exclude New Zealand from the Olympics 1976.
- Also, athletes from Taiwan stayed home because Canada had refused to recognize Taiwan as an independent nation.
- In gymnastics, Nadia Comaneci from Romania made Olympic history - she was awarded by seven perfect 10.0s for her performance.
The Summer Olympic Games Montreal 76