Games of the 20 Olympiad,1972
|City||Munich, FRG (Kiel - sailing)|
- In April 1967 at the 67th session in Rome, the IOC decided among the applications of the four cities - Detroit, USA, Madrid, Spain, Munich, FRG and Montreal, Canada.
- On the second ballot Munich was chosen with the necessary majority as site for staging the Olympic games 1972.
Munich 1972 - Medal Table
Games of the 20 Olympiad,1972 - Some interesting facts
- On the August, 26 the President Gustav Heinemann officially opened the Games of the 20 Olympiad at the new fantstic 80,000-seat Olympic Stadium.
- But on the morning of September, 5 the Games were interrupted when eight Palestinian terrorists from the militant group Black September, broke into the rooms of the Israeli team in the Olympic Village. Two Israelis were killed immediately, and nine others were taken hostage and then were killed. The Games were suspended for 34 hours, but Avery Brundage, the IOC President, decided not to let terrorism to destroy a spirit of the Olympics and declared famously "The Games must go on".
- Rhodesia and South Africa were banned from participating in the Olympic Games after protest of the African nations and the American track and field team against Rhodesia's racist policy.
- The results in track and field and swimming were fixed to within 0,01 sec.
- The American swimmer Mark Spitz won a seven gold medals and all in world record time.
Munich 1972: Tragedy, Terror, and Triumph at the Olympic Games