Games of the 10 Olympiad,1932
|City||Los Angeles, USA|
- Los Angeles, California, USA was the only candidate city for Olympic games 1932.
- It was only the second time, the Olympiad was held outside of Europe, after the Olympics 1904 in St.Louis.
- The 1932 Summer Olympics came in the midst of the global economic depression.
- Los Angeles organizers staged the Games over 16 days. Further, it became the olympic standard for all next Games.
Los Angeles 1932 - Medal Table
Games of the 10 Olympiad,1932 - Some interesting facts
- In 1932 the President of the USA Herbert Hoover was too busy campaigning for his re-election, so Vice-President Charles Curtis officially opened the Games of the 10 Olympiad at the rennovated and enlarged 105,000-seat Colisium stadium.
- The Great Depression and the difficulty and cost of traveling to Los Angeles, California reduced participation in the 1932.
- The new introduction of these Games were a three-level podium for the medal winners and raising the flags of the winning athletes' nations.
- Famous Finnish runner Paavo Nurmi was banned for life on the eve of the Olympic games for professionalism - he got payment for competing in Europe.
The 1932 Olympic Games