Games of the 1 Olympiad, 1896
- The first modern Olympic games were revived as international competitions in June, 1894 at the first session of the International Olympic Committee.
- A French enthusiast of Olympic Movement Baron Pierre de Coubertin became the first president of the IOC.
- Athens, the capital of Greece was selected to host the first Olympic games of a new era.
Athens 1896 - Medal Table
Games of the 1 Olympiad, 1896 - Some interesting facts
- His Majesty The King George I of Greece officially opened the first modern Olympic games at newly reconstructed Panathenean Stadium with a capacity of 80 thousand people.
- Only men took part in the competitions. James Connolly, USA won the triple jump and became the first Olympic champion of a new era.
- Award ceremony took place in the last day of the Games. According to ancient ceremony the laurel wreath was placed on the head of the winner, he had recieved olive branch from a sacred grove at Olympia, a medal and a diploma.
- Since 1896 the national anthems in honor of the winner were played and national flags were raised.
The 1896 Olympic Games